IRIS, the Intelligent Reporting, Inspection & Selection system, assesses whole products and its seven anatomic portions at multiple locations in the processing plant.
There are many advantages in installing the IRIS visual grading system directly after defeathering. Thanks to this early quality check, defects are more easily detectable and there’s more time to plan production efficiently.
A check of flock quality in a very early stage
IRIS installed in the defeathering line is an invaluable tool giving plant management full information on the quality of product entering and leaving the primary process. The quality of the supplied flock can be determined in a very early stage.
IRIS DF is also useful to assist veterinary inspection. As the system identifies color and shape, it will recognize products which are too small, damaged in some way or which have not bled out. These can then be released automatically at the end of the killing line. In addition to that, broken wings, deskinned products and remaining feathers can also be detected in an early stage.
In the defeathering line, IRIS benefits from an improved product separation and presentation. That’s because the product is resilient in this processing phase and spreads out more easily. Particularly wing defects (red wingtips, remained feathers) are better noticed and in general detection of torn skin and bruises improves.
Not estimates, but facts
Early product assessment helps processors to adjust supply to demand. Already having insight in the quality of the flocks and products when they spend about two and a half hours in the air-chilled tunnel (about 30,000 products!), processors can use the 'extra' time for accurate planning. Early decisions aren't based anymore on estimates but on facts, and every product will exactly be put into its most profitable form.
If required, this IRIS DF system can be combined with another IRIS system in the distribution or cut-up stage. This will provide the utmost assessment and allocation; as the skin is no longer wet and shiny, better evaluation of e.g. epidermis quality is possible.
- The earliest possible knowledge of product quality
- Enables monitoring of the performance of the supplying growing farm
- Better product separation and presentation
- Improved detection of wing defects, torn skin and bruises because of resilient product
- Time to plan production more efficiently
- Higher yield through exact matching of products with incoming orders
- Consistently reliable performance at the highest line speeds
- Digital imaging and advanced recognition software
- Fully integrated into Marel Innova PDS primary processing information and control system
- Can be combined with IRIS GDR or NT
- Easy to install, calibrate, use and maintain
- Virtually maintenance free
- Separate front and backside systems possible
For more information, contact your local marel representative today