IRIS, the Intelligent Reporting, Inspection & Selection system, assesses whole products and the seven anatomic portions at multiple locations in the processing plant. In the distribution line, IRIS will perform its task immediately after the products have left the chilling tunnel. Now, the products have assumed their ulterior shape and are ready for precise assessment. Using the data from IRIS, Innova PDS in the distribution line decides whether the products are sent to whole bird batching or to either one of the cut-up lines.
Products having their final shape are ready for precise assessment
Information received from IRIS GDR in the selection line is used to determine what happens to a product with a downgraded portion. It is likely that the product will be sent for cutting, producing six A-grade portions and just one single B-grade portion. The downgraded product or portion will then be released separately as and where required in the processing plant.
How it works
The system consists of a digital camera, LED lighting and advanced recognition software.
IRIS uses shape, color and texture to detect defects such as broken wings, red and blue bruises, fecal stains, remaining feathers and skin damage. IRIS can be used on both water and air chilled products.
Recognition software processes the images received from the camera and allocates a quality grade to each portion of the product. This information is used to determine the best possible destination of each whole product or portion and to generate fully comprehensive reports.
Combined with an IRIS station in the defeathering stage, utmost assessment and allocation can be achieved; a first quality check for product planning and a second check for precise destination of each portion.
- Digital imaging and advanced recognition software
- Fully integrated into Marel Poultry Innova plant-wide information and control system
- Allows management to make decisions about product destination
- Picks up reliably a very wide range of defects
- Can accurately determine the size of a bruise or length of a scratch
- Suitable for both air and water chilled product
- Suitable for “specialty” products, such as corn fed, organics and free range chicken
- Can be combined with IRIS DF for two-step quality check
- Virtually maintenance free
- Can be installed at multiple locations in the plant
- Separate front and backside systems possible